Environmental Engineer - Air - Chemical Industry
|Columbia, South Carolina - United States
$80,000.00 - $100,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
|5% Bonus Opportunity
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Global Chemical Company in the Columbia SC area seeks and Environmental Engineer with Title V experience for plant compliance.
General Description: The main function for the Environmental Engineer is to provide technical expertise and execution of all environmental matter at the site, in particularly the compliance reporting.
- Act as the Env. Manager in his/her absence to address any environmental issues as they arise.
- Provide off hours technical support in areas of responsibility. This will require carrying a cellular telephone and maintaining contact with the plant.
- Fully participate as a member of the Env. Department, including support of fellow team members, the team charter and team mission statement.
- Support and adhere site and corporate EHSS goals.
Environmental (AIR) Compliance:
- Extensive working knowledge of federal and state environmental air regulations, including Title V, PSD, Pharmaceutical NESHAP, Miscellaneous Organic NESHAP, Boiler NESHAP, Hazardous Waste Combuster NESHAP.
- Assist with federal and state air quality regulatory applicability determinations and the development of strategies and systems for compliance.
- Assist with development of internal air quality data management systems and compliance tracking programs as needed.
- Assists with environmental compliance audits.
- Provides guidance to the site in implementation, execution and oversight of air quality programs and procedures.
- Assist with development and presentation of air quality related environmental compliance and pollution prevention training programs.
- Liaison between company operations and air quality agencies.
- Review proposed actions by regulatory agencies to determine impact on company operations, keep abreast of changing rules, and stay current with industry practices.
- Coordinate with engineering staff to provide input or review where necessary to ensure compliance with applicable air quality regulatory and permitting requirements.
- Assists with preparation of air quality permit applications including but not limited to: New Source Review applications, Prevention of Significant Deterioration/Non-Attainment permit applications, Title V operating permits, compliance reports, registrations and other plans for approval.
- Calculates air emissions and prepares air emissions inventories including HAP and GHG reporting. Experience with Water 9, Emission Master, and LeakDAS software a plus.
- Oversees and reviews permit required air monitoring.
- Develops plans for continuous improvement activities and capital projects that address immediate and future environmental and sustainability requirements, and works with operations, maintenance, and engineering project management to implement those plans. Develop compliance plan for those potential regulations affecting site.
- Maintain accurate records and documentation to assist in inspections and training activities as required and ensure that the appropriate documentation is completed accurately and filed correctly on a timely basis.
- Provide technical support for spill incidents, including reporting and spill cleanup management.
- Assist the Env. Compliance Manager in the development of plans, programs, and procedures to ensure environmental compliance.
- Perform QESH review for new chemicals to be produced on site. Work with PICA group to determine potential environmental concerns of new processes.
- Review and approve Management of Change requests, assign and complete Corrective Actions to mitigate deficiencies.
- Continually improve data quality for environmental reporting purposes (e.g. historical spreadsheets that lack documentation/sampling data).
- Provide cross media coverage in RCRA, SPCC, EPCRA, and wastewater areas when required.
Plant Support :
- Facilitate or participate in root cause investigations of specified environmental incidents.
- Promote environmental awareness of all plant personnel through training and other communication vehicles. Provide training, ‘summary sheets’, signage, and other communication tools to assist with compliance.
- Assist with the development of operating and capital budgets.
- Represent site in Community Advisory Panel (CAP), as required, activities and SC Tech Chamber Meetings.
- Develop constructive relations and earn the respect and confidence of team members, other site teams and vendors/suppliers in order to help enhance company reputation as a reliable company.
EHSQ Management Systems:
- Support and comply with companys ISO Quality programs, policies and procedures outlined by the Standard and support the department to meet the requirements of ISO Quality programs, policies and procedures, and ensure continued compliance through support of the internal audit process and team meetings.
- Practice Responsible Care Management through active participation and adherence to the Guiding Principles of the Responsible Care Management System and contribute to the sustainability of the OSHA VPP Program by continuing to uphold the principles demonstrated as a STAR site.
Critical Corporate Competencies
- Get Things Done- Maintains a consistent and high level of productivity despite apparent challenges and obstacles. Ability to manage multiple priorities and set priorities. Seek input/expert advice when necessary.
- Communication- Shares information timely in a clear and concise style on a need to know basis. Strong ability to motivate and influence employees to ensure environmental compliance and sustainable operational discipline. Develops positive effective relationships with all departments that interact with EHS.
- Business Savvy- Thoroughly understands Environmental Regs and considers all business factors when making decisions and providing input to others.
- Sense of Urgency- Demonstrates a sense of urgency makes progress on goals
- Teamwork- Invites and builds upon collaboration. Works w/ the EHS Manager, Environmental Technician and other plant personnel to provide and manage the required documentation to certify that all plant activities are in compliance with applicable environmental regulations.
- Navigating Ambiguity- Accepts change by adapting own work style and methods to new conditions. Also navigate regulatory ambiguity and determine best compliance option for site that minimizes risk yet allows maximum operational excellence.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. Chemical, Environmental Engineering or related field
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in an environmental/ engineering related job.
- Minimum of 5 years’ of plant experience.
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Provide technical support as needed on a 24 hr/ 7 day basis
- Periodic travel (> 5%)
- Willing to work extended hours/weekends as needed.
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree