|Livermore, California - United States
contact recruiter for details
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
My client is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of custom built buses for the passenger transit industry in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the development of the electrical systems design and integration for all bus models. The engineer will work closely with suppliers to design and develop electric, hybrid/electric, CNG and diesel vehicle systems. The candidate will be self-directed with a strong ability to support a wide variety of projects. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex requiring outstanding creativity, superior initiative, judgment, and leadership. This is a hands-on position.
- Design of electrical components, wiring and systems
- Performs complex troubleshooting with on-site production team or remote troubleshooting of buses with field service team
- Supports Field Service department with writing procedures for maintenance and system operation, and designing for field retrofit
- Documents new designs and design modifications with appropriate drawings, BOM requests, project release paperwork, etc.
- Works closely with purchasing to ensure designs are released within lead times for parts procurement to meet bus production schedule
- Works closely with production control to release major projects into the manufacturing process
- Validates new designs and tests systems
- Maintains current knowledge of system offerings and emerging design technologies in the transit and heavy duty vehicle industry
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering plus a minimum of 5 years of progressive engineering experience in the heavy duty or automotive segment.
- J1939/CAN tools (CANalyzer, P-CAN, CANoe, etc.) and standards
- Problem resolution processes such 8D, 5P etc
- FMEAs to identify and prevent potential failure modes in designs
- Self-starter with the ability to work as part of a team in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision
- Strong communication skills with the ability to work within diverse teams
- Experienced in systems engineering approaches to solving problems
- Capable of creative/innovative design solutions
- Draws concise logical conclusions based on data from experiments/testing
- Exhibits vision and foresight in testing to the extremes of a design and guides team members through well thought out test process
- Diagnostic and programming tools from the transit and heavy duty vehicle industries (Cummins Insite, Allison Doc, Wabco Toolbox, VEPS, etc.)
- Vehicle, Diagnostic Control System Design & Development
- Able to execute Design for Manufacturing and Design for Assembly activities
- Experience with the following: vehicle electrical system troubleshooting, electrical test equipment/tools, automotive industry codes/standards such as SAE, NEC, NFPA, FMVSS, DOT, NHTSA, harness/schematic design and drawing tools to perform load analysis, power distribution and circuit protection analysis
My client offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan. We are an equal opportunity employer that supports a drug-free workplace.