Sr. Mechanical Engineer
|Livermore, California - United States
contact recruiter for details
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will be a key member of the engineering team and the industries' leading transit bus manufacturing business. Using design expertise and solid engineering principles, this engineer will be responsible for the design and development of new product and the support of existing product. He/she will be capable of working independently with only general direction from the Project Engineer, while also exhibiting excellent interpersonal skills and communication across cross-functional staff. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex requiring outstanding creativity, superior initiative, judgment and leadership. Engineers who want a fast paced, technical, hands-on career, designing and building energy efficient transportation equipment should join our expanding team.
- Completes mechanical designs of a complex nature.
- Creates new product designs that exceed customer expectations.
- Maintains current designs and seeks out opportunities to continuously improve current product.
- Documents new designs and design modifications with appropriate ACAD drawings, BOM requests, project release paperwork, etc.
- All work is completed with an eye for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Integrates new designs into BOM system providing BOM technicians direction on selection criteria.
- Continually monitors due dates for designs and then releases designs to meet these dates ensuring appropriate lead times for parts procurement to meet bus production schedule.
- Works closely with production control to coordinate controlled implementation of major projects into the manufacturing process.
- Able to perform complex troubleshooting on all bus mechanical systems. This may be hands-on in production or remotely troubleshooting buses in service.
- Performs hand calculations as necessary to support design decisions.
- Performs FEA analysis using Autodesk Inventor and/or ANSYS software as required to support design decisions.
- Validates new designs and tests systems.
- Draws concise logical conclusions from experiments based on data analysis.
- Exhibits vision and foresight to test the extremes of a design and guide team members through well thought out, logical test regimes.
- Supports Purchasing department with sourcing suggestions, alternative manufacturing methods, part substitution evaluations, Vendor evaluations, etc.
- Supports Sales department by investigating new designs in response to customer requests, help with Bid research, technical support for customer visits, etc.
- Supports Field Service Department with troubleshooting advice, writing procedures for maintenance and/or vehicle/system operation, designs for field modifications, etc.
- Support Parts department with designs for retrofits/up fits of product already in the field, sourcing suggestions, part history and substitution research, etc.
- Occasionally takes on supervisory responsibilities as assigned by the Project Engineer.
- Reviews/checks work of design support engineers and project team members.
- Interacts extensively with manufacturing to maintain familiarity with manufacturing operations and staff.
- Supports all designs throughout the production process.
- Ability to work fast, efficiently and effectively within a compressed manufacturing time schedule to troubleshoot and resolve issues as they arise in the production process.
- Makes material and process recommendations.
- Highly professional and effective communication skills and the ability to interface with people throughout the organization and supplier/customer base.
- Very creative and innovative approach to mechanical design solutions.
- Highly developed leadership ability, independence, and initiative.
- Highly developed level of Mechanical Engineering aptitude and expertise.
- High energy with an enthusiasm for automotive product.
- Thorough understanding of drafting standards and high proficiency in 3D modeling software required; proficiency in AutoCad 2D and Inventor 3D modeling software preferred. Experience with a CAD Data Management system a plus.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 3 years of Heavy Duty Vehicle, Transit, or Aerospace experience or equivalent.