Senior Mechanical / Materials Engineer
|Tarrytown, New York - United States
contact recruiter for details
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Senior Staff Mechanical / Materials Engineer
Competitive Base Salary, 10-15% bonus, 6% 401K, 4 Weeks PTO
We have a new opening for a Senior Mechanical / Materials Engineer (Staff or Senior Staff level) position with a longstanding client; multi-billion global medical instrumentation company. They have strong revenue growth, a stable environment, very low turnover, and offer the opportunity to work on customized, complex medical products that impact people's lives. The products are very complex systems; large instruments with precise components. These instruments have precision drive mechanisms, robotics, sensors, electromechanical components.
We are looking for someone who will drive materials development and applications; championing new and improving products; drive creation of robust designs & performance, cost as a KPI’s; and manage the product lifecycle through the process. You'll lead troubleshooting and determining root cause for issues found in verification; drive the set based design process; conceptualize and design solutions for specific engineering challenges; adopt and execute an ownership culture. This Staff Engineer role will work with Manufacturing, Procurement, Suppliers, Service, and Quality to ensure the proper design application of materials.
- Drive engineering excellence by executing and participating in Center of Excellence activities and Design to Shelf initiatives (DFSS, Set Based Design, Logical Decision making, Creating Knowledge briefs, etc).
- Design and direct the testing of processing procedures
- Monitor how materials perform and evaluate how they deteriorate
- Determine causes of product failure and develop solutions
- Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to the design objectives of processes or products
- Actively participate in continuous improvement efforts for the Mechanical Engineering function, contributes to development and administration of Process, Practice and Procedures (PPPs) in the area of Mechanical/Materials Engineering.
- Applies best practice and appropriate tool usage in daily practice.
- Responsible for quality of deliverables to manufacturing.
- Appropriately document designs, activities, and knowledge growth to meet project, organization, and regulatory needs.
- Works with external vendors in close cooperation with supply chain management to develop quality, manufacturable, testable, and lowest cost mechanical designs.
- Perform Work Package Team Lead activities by championing and driving design changes from inception through release, managing resources and schedule, and ensuring robust design through diligent engineering oversight.
- Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science. PE Certification is a plus.
- Minimum 10+ years of industry experience in product design, development, and manufacturing with technical background in material science and manufacturing processes; focused on material performance, materials and their proper applications, and material compatibility.
- Experience in product development for Medical, Pharmaceutical, Aerospace, Automotive industry, or similar regulated industry experience
- Must have experience with manufacturing processes of materials such as plastic injection molding, metallurgical casting, machining, rapid prototyping, and sheet metal bending/forming.
- Experience working with suppliers of sheet metal, machined, and cast/molded mechanical parts to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
- Must have proficiency in 3D CAD design software (NX preferred).
- Must have proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Great oral and written presentation skills; ability to communicate work progress in a manner leading to the establishment of credibility with senior leadership.
- Experience of working in a large global corporate matrix environment is a plus.
- Working understanding of Set Based Design, DfSS, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs or A3’s) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred.
- Experience of working with vendors to fabricate prototype and production parts and tooling.
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree