Process Development Chemist
|Nanuet, New York - United States
contact recruiter for details
|plus future stock
Expect relo to move things and some help woth realtor fees but not 100% fees
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
A great opportunity to make a huge impact with zero “corporate red tape”. Get in near the ground floor in this established and well-funded startup company. They are working, along-side well-known business partners, to develop a “Green” source of traditional plastics along-side well-known business partners!
Your success in this position will be a key step in the overall company’s success.
- Working to develop a novel process that converts sustainable biomass materials into renewable chemicals, they have brought in a very well-respected and technically accomplished team.
- They are a professionally run organization with well-planned goals and objectives, stated company values like “honesty and integrity”, and have world renowned business partners who provide the catalyst, additional R&D support, and process design assistance for commercial plant construction.
- They are funded in part by large well-known companies who are interested in the final product. For example, an investor might be interested in a “green” source of plastic for making beverage bottles or car parts. It seems that renewed funding is attainable via a ‘stage-gate like’ progress analysis.
- Location(s)/ Cost of Living (COL): HQ in suburban Rockland County NY with many different types of areas to live in and COL index as low as 120 and a low crime rate. There are several “Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence” in Rockland Country, too. OR - Easy commute from Orange Country NY which is more rural with a lower COL (103). OR - For fun, live in NYC, but COL is 180. (By definition the Nat’l Average COL is 100. Ref. bestplaced.net for statistics).
Features and Benefits:
- Expect a competitive salary plus stock options along with a nice benefits package including paid vacation & holidays, group medical & dental benefits (intended to attract top talent from larger corporations) plus annual employee reviews with raises retroactive to the 1st of the year.
- As a small-company, there is no corporate ‘red tape’ and the work culture is hands-on, business like but casual!Plus, as a ground-floor opportunity all employees have a vested interest in the success.
- You’ll make a big impact on the success of the company and it will be rewarding to see the quick progress.
As Lead Process Development Chemist, you’ll be the individual who designs experimental programs needed to scale-up a process invented to remove metal contaminants from biomass feed-stock. The feasibility of this metal reduction process has been reproducible at ton-scale, in batch process mode, and your team will be instrumental in creating a continuously operating version of this process. Working in cooperation with a highly experience Lead Engineer, you’ll assume the lead role in acquiring data, developing process concepts, supporting modeling, and supporting pilot plant activities leading to the scale-up and commercialization of a continuous process. You’ll work hands-on in the lab as well as direct work of the Lab Technicians to prove or disprove hypotheses about the characteristics of this novel process.
- Become a process technology expert and leader on this Process Development team.
- Design of Experiments (DOE) that are well planned out and highly focused on commercialization; develop hypotheses and relevant tests adapting and propose new hypotheses as needed.
- Apply rigorous experimental methods and provide high quality data.
- Interpret lab results and communicate them clearly focusing on relevance to company goals and objectives. (This is a focused R&D effort not early-stage exploration.)
- Pro-actively identify future opportunities or challenges that the company may encounter, and use chemistry, lab skills, and experience to find potential solutions to the challenges.
- Provide data to support process modeling and participate in generating the data needed for building the models needed in technical licensing and commercialization.
- Support future pilot plant activities through experiments & problems solving.
- Become the company expert regrading analytical testing; Troubleshot analytical instrumentation and customize instrumental methods
The Lead Process Development Chemist will have significant laboratory experience working as a direct employee in industry including design of experiments for focused process development and commercialization.
- PhD Chemistry or related experience
- Patents as a sign of creativity
- 10 + years industry experience in new process development from bench to pilot plant operation to commercialization
- Industry experience refers to time as a direct employee in a company after any “post-doc” or academic experiences.
- R&D experience with petrochemicals or unit operation found in petrochemical of fuels refining.
- A history working on teams and the ability to influence the work of others who may not have formal reporting relationship
- Experience with process modeling and critical process data determination
- Best experience (but not required)
- Biomass processing, solids processing, flow reactors, and distillation systems
- Must be authorized to work for any employer in the USA without restrictions.
University - Master's Degree