This closed position was filled. Check out our Jobs Search Page for our current open positions similar to this one.
|Title:||Director – Transportation Engineering|
|Job Location:||Indianapolis, Indiana - United States|
|Salary:||$130,000.00 - $140,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly|
|Employer Will Recruit From:||Nationwide|
The Director – Transportation Engineering is in direct control of the transportation engineering practice, exercises direct or indirect supervision of all personnel in transportation engineering professional and technical matters. The Director is responsible for the technical excellence of the department and on time and within budget project deliverables. The Director provides senior level project management oversight on projects. The Director develops strong working relationships with agencies, municipalities, and other consulting firms. This position has technical excellence, management and business development responsibilities for the transportation engineering department. The position includes a significant contribution to strategic planning and building the transportation engineering practice throughout the region. MUST BE A CIVIL ENGINEER
Benefits include: Medical, vision and dental insurance; 401k Retirement Savings Profit Sharing Plan (discretionary match up to 4% after 6 months); Paid Time Off, 15 days annually; Eight paid holidays, annually; Long and short term disability insurance; Life insurance
(free, 2x base salary); Supplementary Insurance Coverages available at employee’s expense; Continuing Education Program; Bonus Compensation; Wellness Program; Employee Assistance Program
• Travel locally, regionally, and nationally to develop business and market services.
• Identify and market additional business opportunities with key clients.
• Participate in client relations management for assigned key clients.
• Work with technical staff to develop proposal sections, technical approaches, and scopes of work.
• Utilize CRM for tracking of all business development opportunities.
• Meet with new/existing clients to discover project information.
• Participate in proposal presentations, interviews, and business development activities.
• Manage and be accountable for the overall performance and day-to-day operations for the department, including meeting or exceeding performance metrics.
• Implement current and proposed growth and sales plans and develop strategic plan for the department.
• Provide senior level quality control review for department projects.
• Deliver quality projects on-time, within budget and to the satisfaction of the client.
• In conjunction with the Safety Officer, conduct job hazard analysis and create jobsite specific health and safety plans as required.
• Supervise, mentor, and assist staff in developing final design plans.
• Ensure adequate supervision and support of all transportation engineering staff.
• Ensure staff is advised of their performance toward meeting performance goals.
• Effective utilization of staff to maximize value for client.
• Supervise and coordinate work efforts and review work performed.
• Foster a positive collaborative environment between divisions and offices; promote company culture.
• Timely review of staff timesheets and expense reports for accuracy.
• Utilize project management software for successful project management, timely invoicing of client, and accurate/timely reporting of expenses and time.
• Serve as senior project manager and/or project expert on specific tasks or projects.
• Provide technical direction and development on the scope of engineering work, detailed and on-going schedule input, man-hour requirements, and budgets for the assigned project elements.
• Mitigate project risk.
• Assigns projects to designers and engineers and coordinates a team effort to support the project.
• Manage scope, identify and document changes in scope, and seek amendments for changes.
• Review designs, studies, investigations performed by other engineers for conformance to municipal standards and requirements
• Participate in construction support activities including responses to requests for information (RFIs), submittal reviews, construction site visits, and design revisions/ management of change
• Participate in design reviews, risk assessments, and vendor bid evaluations.
• Visit work sites on a frequent basis to monitor project progress.
• Routinely manages several projects concurrently.
• Develop engineering reports, specifications, cost estimates, and prepare final bid packages.
• Lead/participate in project decisions regarding technical approaches, cost and scheduling performance.
• Identify schedule and cost variances and develop and implement recommendations for corrective action.
• Design and detail full construction documents and specifications including grading, layout, detailing, planting plans, hardscape elements.
• Coordinate with client, civil engineers, MEP, architect, and General Contractor on complex projects during design, documentation, and construction.
Must be a Civil Engineer
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university.
• 10 years of experience serving municipal clients involving planning, consulting, design and construction services for a wide variety of transportation projects.
• Demonstrated experience in successful project management, client interaction, and staff development.
• Business development and marketing experience including writing proposals, scopes of work, and budgets for projected work.
Licenses; Certifications; Special Requirements:
• Professional Engineer (PE) license in Indiana; licensure in additional states may be required.
• A valid driver’s license; ability to maintain insurability under organization insurance policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong technical background, including extensive knowledge of all project phases
• Demonstrated leadership skills, sense of vision and ability to motivate and manage others with a proven record of success
• Strong organization and time management skills
• Strong client management and consultant team management skills
• Ability to manage & mentor staff, and direct resources effectively
• Ability to provide practical and results oriented technical solutions for projects
• Microsoft Office Suite with proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to produce well written technical reports and regulatory compliance documents.
• Ability to operate a computer, digital camera, and other office equipment.
• Proficiency in advanced Microstation/GEOPAK processes.
• Ability to comply with safety policies and practices and OSHA standards.
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree