Sr. Process Development Engineer
|Columbia, Maryland - United States
$100,000.00 - $120,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
|10-12% bonus, 6% 401k match, 4% retirement contribution
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
This role will be based at company HQ in MD and has travel to their German facility a few times per year. A couple of those visits are expected to be 4+ weeks long
The candidate must have experience working with and in a silica-manufacturing environment.
The candidate must have PhD. in Chemical Engineering or Chemical Technology
The right candidate being fluent in German written & verbal skills would be a BIG plus, yet not necessary
With the company taking aggressive actions to expand and grow, they are looking to improve and upgrade their facilities across the nation and some internationally! They are looking to hire the right type of talent and a fast paced, driven type of personality.
The primary function of this position is to develop and scale-up new or improved manufacturing processes to support the growth and productivity objectives of the Materials Technologies product line.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Project planning and execution to drive projects from concept to commercialization, including startup and successful transfer to manufacturing
- Apply sound engineering principles, rigor and manufacturing experience to:
- Ensure safe, environmentally responsible processes are transferred to production
- Solve chemical and process engineering problems related to new product and new manufacturing process concepts
- Identify critical process parameters and develop functional FMEA, Cause and Effect Relationships and Critical to Quality Process Control Plan
- Carry out experiments to determine the effect of processing variables on product properties and performance
- Lead productivity projects in the manufacturing environment to improve quality, lower cost and increase rates.
- Troubleshoot new and existing plant processes
- Provide necessary technical support for Process Design
- Identify applicable state of the art instrumentation, equipment, and alternate process technology to upgrade the capability of manufacturing processes
- 10-20% travel. US Based candidate will travel to Germany site, or German based candidate will travel to US site
- Collaborate effectively with Research, Manufacturing, and Engineering for the introduction of new products and new plant capabilities, in global multicultural team environment
- Communicate projects updates, progress, risks, options, barriers and recommendations, effectively to technical and non-technical audience
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or Chemical Technology
- 5-10 years’ experience in Colloidal Silica or Precipitated Silica manufacturing in the area of process development, scale up and productivity improvements
- Experience with commercial scale chemical reaction, washing, drying, milling, classification unit operations is required
- Lean Six sigma trained with demonstrated ability to utilize statistical techniques
- Proven ability to work safely in laboratory, pilot plant and manufacturing environment
- Strong background in chemistry and engineering fundamentals. Candidate must be able to apply fundamental engineering concepts to develop robust technical solutions for implementation in commercial manufacturing operation
- Demonstrated ability to apply Statistical techniques (DOE, Regression, Anova, SPC, Hypothesis Test, Process Capability Studies) for process development and process improvement
- Sound Project Management Skills, ability to successfully handle multiple projects using self-directed work management style
- Ability to work in cross functional team (R&D, Manufacturing, Process Design, Pilot Plant) to drive project results
- Demonstrated ability to develop, scale-up, improve, troubleshoot and transfer new processes to manufacturing
- Strong bias for action with a natural curiosity and ability to learn
University - PhD