Chief Risk Officer
|Des Moines, Iowa - United States
contact recruiter for details
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
The client is among the top 60 insurance organizations in the country. They provide property and casualty insurance products and services throughout the United States and writes reinsurance contracts worldwide. Founded in 1911, this company is financially solid, built on more than 100 years of serving policyholders and independent insurance agents.
Provides strategic oversight of all enterprise risks, including information security, cybersecurity, business continuity, talent and succession planning, reputation, credit, market, operational, insurance, strategic, environmental, political and regulatory risks. Establishes risk strategies that allow the company to achieve strategic growth and profitability goals and ensures strategic alignment with corporate operating plans. Ensures that risk and control frameworks operate effectively. Leads and instills a risk-based approach to decision-making, providing oversight and accountability of all enterprise risks. Develops and manages qualitative and quantitative risk reporting to senior leadership and the Board's ERM Committee to support effective decision-making.
1. Enterprise Risk Management
- Establishes risk strategies to achieve strategic growth and profitability goals
- Identifies enterprise-wide opportunities and threats to achieving goals
- Oversees the enterprise risk management (ERM) framework, embedding it throughout the organization
- Evaluates all diverse types of risk facing the company to drive the establishment and maintenance of appropriate individual risk tolerances
- Drives innovation of operational strategies regarding management of all key risks to the company
- Directs corporate insurance and ceded reinsurance programs, determining appropriate types of policies and limits the company should have, as well as recommending alternative offerings
2. Risk Culture
- Embeds a strong and proactive risk intelligent culture and a risk-based approach that influences behaviors, actions and decisions
- Partners with Internal Audit to provide assurance that risk and control processes operate as intended
- Partners with the Innovation and Strategy Teams to quantify and mitigate risk of potential partnerships
3. Information and Facilities Security
- Collaborates with the CISO (Assistant Vice President-Enterprise Information Security Governance) in the development and maintenance of corporate information security strategies, including the physical security elements for information security.
- Ensures that information security strategies align with broader security objectives, as well as business strategies
- Ensures the annual completion of the Own Risk and Solvency Assessment and its filing with the Iowa Insurance Division
- Leads risk reporting to the Board's ERM Committee
- Prepares and cosigns the semi-annual Economic Capital Model Forecast attestation letter to the President and CEO, Chairman of the Board, and Chairman of the Board's ERM Committee
5. Management of the Team
- Leads the team; develops their expertise; fosters a collaborative and innovative culture; establish DE&I strategies; and engages employment practices.
- Manages budgeted resources by anticipating expenditures, accurately forecasting resource needs/costs and properly accounting for expenses to meet requirements and achieve fiscal responsibility
6. Committee Leadership
- Serves as a member of the ERM Oversight, Information Security Governance, Business Continuity, Underwriting Cycle Management, and Catastrophe Risk Management Committees
- Chairs the Operational Risk committee
7. Significant Risk Events
- Acts as a point person for communication and action during a significant risk event
- Assesses immediate risk issues, activates the appropriate business continuity plan and Quick Response Team(s), and leads communication with the executive team during plan implementation
- Bachelor's degree in risk management, business, finance, insurance or related field
- Master’s degree in business administration or related field preferred
- 10 years of experience in progressively responsible roles in risk management, including five years in a leadership capacity
- IT and Cybersecurity experience
- Risk management or insurance designation, such as RIMS-CRMP, CRM, ARM, FCAS or CPCU, preferred
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree