Development Engineer-Flexible Film
|Eau Claire, Wisconsin - United States
$80,000.00 - $90,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Leader is the flexible packaging indstry has a Development/Process situation open a degreed engineer to work in Process, Development & Applications
This engineer/scientist drives cost reduction and alternate material/formulation activities for both new and existing programs. Responsibilities include solution development, feasibility assessment, prototype development and assessment, manufacturing scale up, and commercialization. Will work closely with other development engineers, product management, operations, management team and purchasing to create projects and take them thru to completion with technically strong solutions.
Primary Job Functions
As a member of the product development group, the product optimization engineer/scientist will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Design and development alternate resins, reclaim strategies, or alternate formulations for products targeted as costreduction.
- Support current business through product and process improvementprograms.
- Key product steward for reclaim levels in commercialfilms.
- Extensive interaction with PD group to understand performance requirements and limits of products. Must define those requirements using key physical properties, visual standards, and performancecharacteristics.
- Provide technical support to PD team through specification testing, product qualifications and recommendations driven at costout.
- Broad use of polymer science and engineering principles to recommend alternate resins, solve product and productionchallenges.
- Design and conduct experiments to validate productperformance.
- Interact with manufacturing personnel to optimize product design for ease ofmanufacturing
- Prepare and submit BOMs, technical documents and descriptions to the commercial team to be utilized for product recommendations and to generate costing/pricemodels.
- Interact with purchasing to understand resin pricing and target vendors or resins that are advantageous to our company.
- Provide support to plants and PD group for resin changes driven by resin change or purchasing strategies.
- Other responsibilities asassigned.
- Requires and solid understanding of resins used in all forms of film extrusion and the film extrusion equipment used to create coex filmproducts.
- Requires supplier interaction with technical support to stay current with new and existing polymer systems, market films, processing and converting equipment, physical property testing techniques, and packagingequipment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, including planning, time lines, weekly communication, and key project updates. Comfortable with managing changingpriorities
- Excellent analytical skills and strong planning/organizingskills
- Ability to effectively communicate/present findings to a wide variety ofaudiences
- Knowledge and use of Six Sigma tools for analyzingdata
- Self-starter and ability to work independently asneeded
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with limited information and drive to quicksuccess.
- Hands-on experience with continuous web based manufacturing aplus
- B.S. / M.S. Degree in Chemical, Mechanical or PolymerScience/Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in film development, or processengineering
- Experience working with coex blown and/or cast film equipment and productdevelopment.
- Willingness to travel 30-50% of thetime