Director, Health & Safety
|Chicago, Illinois - United States
contact recruiter for details
|+ 30% bonus
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Newly created role in company reporting directly to SVP, Manufacturing of US. Will support three facilities and build standards, programs, set KPI, build systems and overall best practices for US business. Highly visible and working for a high growth, highly respected alcohol beverage company that is known for it's supportive and highly collaborative culture. Intelligent, genuine and humble leadership team and comany culture.
This role will lead the national health and safety strategy and drive improvement, execution and management of an effective health and safety management system for the company. The Health & Safety Director leads the function towards the vision of a high-performance team culture, and drives change management initiatives to continually improve the health and safety management system to deliver exceptional behavioral based safety programs and industry leading safety performance.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Planning (30%)
- Plan and guide the work of Health & Safety excellence across the enterprise
- Participate in and facilitate strategic and long-term planning focused on Health & Safety
- Build, implement and drive the Health & Safety initiatives across the organization
- Influence the organization to adopt leading concepts in safety leadership including human performance factors and how systems interact to lead to outcomes
Technical Functions (25%)
- Work closely with local sites and corporate engineering to apply safety by design methodologies
- Promote quality root cause failure analysis investigations and implement strategies to eliminate serious incidents and fatalities
- Serve as the company representative on industry safety associations
- Develop best practice reporting and propose new tools
- Oversee the monitoring and analysis of key personal, technical and process safety leading and lagging performance indicators
Logistical Functions (25%)
- Manage the selection and evaluation of safety tools / programs in consultation with Operations and the Executive team
- Manage the response to all site safety inspections and inquiries from internal and external stakeholders
- Work with the Regulatory Compliance and the Environment Manager to implement initiatives
- Work with the local facilities to champion security related initiatives
- Participate in operational safety and environmental risk reviews
- Participate in- or lead- Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and hazard evaluations
- Participate in- or lead- pre-start-up safety reviews (PSSR)
Team & Leadership Functions (20%)
- Provide safety leadership, counsel, and technical support to Operations (Development and Production) on personal, technical and process safety so that the company meets its safety, environmental, production and cost ambitions
- Champion and promote a strong safety and compliance culture, as well as assure the business that OSHA minimum requirements are being followed
- Promote a strong awareness and personal responsibility for HSE with all Business Leaders, front line workers, and contract personnel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Occupational Safety & Health or Operations is desirable
- Minimum 10 Years’ experience in plant operations, maintenance and/or engineering
- Thorough knowledge of corporate policies, worker's compensation, OSHA, and other relevant legislation is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and demonstrates the ability to build positive partnerships, while work collaboratively with cross-functional business teams.
- Must have the ability to organize and prioritize work to ensure timely deadlines.
Skill & Abilities
- Ability to effectively lead change, influence and work collaboratively in a team environment
- Highly motivated and results oriented
- Possesses strong communications skills at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to challenge the status quo and improve existing processes/programs
- Has the ability to simplify solutions, articulate a strategy and deliver to it
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree