Environmental Engineer - Waste Water
|Schenectady, New York - United States
$85,000.00 - $105,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Wastewater Operations and Regulatory Support:
- Support the EHS Manager in fostering Corporate and site efforts to maintain and enhance environmental compliance and integrate those efforts in promoting business opportunities.
- Support plant engineering in troubleshooting of problems that directly affect the Environmental Program and WWTP
- Assist in assuring that the necessary WWTP operating permits, governmental surveys and appropriate documentation be completed in an accurate manner and be filed on a timely basis.
- Provide WWTP regulatory and technical support to maintain accurate records and documentation to assist in inspections and training activities as required.
- Plan, coordinate and execute WWTP outages and routine tank cleaning/maintenance work evolutions to ensure safe, compliant and productive execution.
- Review and monitor WWTP process control parameters and provide operating instructions and adjustments to operators to ensure robust and compliant treatment operations.
- Ensure wastewater budgets are managed and costs are controlled to meet corporate guidelines.
- Continuously identify areas for potential improvement, or alternative solutions to business challenges within the department and the site. Seek to improve the use of resources, methods and tools used to conduct work activities to make them more streamlined and effective.
- Reduce the injury rates on the site, striving for zero injuries.
- Reduce the number and severity of spills on the site, striving for zero spills.
Environmental Program Management:
- Participate in regulatory audits as they relate to wastewater and waste compliance issues.
- Participate in incident investigations related to WWTP incidents (spills, injuries, near misses, permit exceedances).
- Provide regulatory and technical support as required for wastewater treatment processes at the site..
- Support plant engineering in completing WWTP capital projects on time, on budget and with no non-compliances.
- Work with WWTP and Site Maintenance to execute the WWTP PM program, provide technical support of program objectives.
- Cultivate a more highly skilled, motivated, and effective organization.
- Manage employee performance, motivating the workforce, provide day to day direction and assignment.
- Manage union-related issues, ensuring contract compliance, effective use of resources and resolution of grievance issues.
New Product Introduction and development:
- Support production when new products are introduced to the plant using available technology to determine ultimate treatability of waste.
- Ensure all production related effluent complies with regulatory thresholds.
- On-going enhancement of quantitative and analytical skills to apply to wastewater and waste challenges.
- Master the use of software that may be applied in the collection, analysis and communication of daily wastewater operations.
- Stay current on growing technology to ensure the wastewater plant grows with the everchanging environment
Education and Experience
- BS Degree, Engineering or Science
- Four to six years of experience in wastewater treatment and environmental compliance.
- Strong analytical, strategic, organizational, reporting, presentation, and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Knowledge of hazardous waste regulations and management
Specific Functional Competency Requirements
- Support the EHS Manager in carrying out assigned programs necessary to satisfy both long and short-term regulatory demands placed on the Corporation and site.
- Aid in regulatory and environmental matters to ensure legal compliance.
- Thorough knowledge of all Federal, State and Local regulations, which are pertinent to work assignments.
- Navigate ambiguity, set priorities, manage risks and change and allocate resources to enhance an operational excellence environment.
- Communication - Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, convey information effectively.
- Manage the allocation of resources to meet the goals and priorities the plant. .
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree