Internal Audit Manager
|West Des Moines, Iowa - United States
contact recruiter for details
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Our client is one of the largest school districts in Iowa with over 30,000 students and revenues of $500M.
Assist Leadership in accomplishing their objectives by using a systematic, disciplined, and risk-based approach to evaluate and contribute to the improvement of the governance, risk management, and control process. Supervises and directs the work of the Assistant Internal Auditor. Determines whether resources are being used in an efficient manner and in compliance with applicable laws, policies, and procedures. Uses an internal quality review program to ensure that audit conclusions are properly supported by the audit work papers. Conducts appropriate follow up on significant engagement findings and recommendations previously issued by Internal Audit. The Internal Audit Manager is a designated impartial, neutral, and confidential third party who assists faculty, staff, and administrators in informal dispute resolution through informal means, which includes consulting, negotiation, and mediation. The Internal Audit Manager promotes communication by providing a safe, confidential place for internal and external stakeholders to share concerns and listens without judgment. This position requires continuous use of independent judgment. The essential functions as shown below represent only the key areas of responsibility; specific position requirements will vary depending on the needs of the department.
- Developing internal audit plan based on a prioritization of the audit universe using a risk-based methodology, including input of senior management and the audit committee and reporting periodically on the internal audit activity’s purpose, authority, responsibility, and performance relative to its plan.
- Maintaining a quality assurance and improvement program that covers all aspects of the internal audit activity.
- Conducts appropriate internal investigation, fact-finding, and analysis for better understanding of an issue prior to rendering an opinion.
- Assists Audit Committee in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities.
- Evaluating risk exposure relating to achievement of the strategic objectives.
- Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the risk management processes.
- Reporting significant risk exposures and control issues, including fraud risks, governance issues, and other matters needed or requested by the audit committee.
- Evaluating the effectiveness and efficiency with which resources are employed.
- Evaluating operations and programs at the request of the Audit Committee or Management, as appropriate, to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives and goals, and whether these operations and programs are being carried out as planned.
- Evaluating the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans, procedures, laws and regulations which could have a significant impact.
- Monitoring and evaluating governance processes.
- Advises senior administrators responsible for policies and procedures that affect their welfare.
- Makes appropriate recommendations to modify practices in order to reduce or eliminate recurring problems. Works collaboratively with other offices and personnel whose responsibilities include policy analysis.
- Provides confidential consultation while assisting inquirers in interpreting policies and procedures.
- Seeks and receives permission from an inquirer before taking direct action. Conducts appropriate internal investigation, fact-finding, and analysis of complex situations to untangle issues and help construct non- adversarial approaches to issues.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field.
- Certified Public Accountant, or eligible to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)exam.
- Three years’ experience in auditing procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional standards, codes of ethics, procedures, and principles and techniques for informal inquiries.
- Strong mathematical and analytic skills.
- High level of proficiency with Excel, Outlook, and other computer software programs
- Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness to acquire these skills.
- Be an active member of professional dispute resolution association or be willing to join and participate in such associations.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles for governmental entities.
- Knowledge of school district business, budgetary. and financial practices and procedures.
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree