Mechanical Design Engineer
|Goldsboro, North Carolina - United States
$70,000.00 - $90,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Located in very nice southern city of Greensboro, NC. This company offers potential to grow, great benefits, tuition assistance. Be part of the creative team helping develop new products.
The mechanical design engineer is responsible for interpreting customer, regulatory and internal process requirement and giving life to the mechanical and electro-mechanical design for cargo handling equipment. The mechanical design engineer will be the heart of an integrated product team that is tasked with generating new business on behalf of the organization. The mechanical design engineer is expected to provide the necessary leadership to the integrated product team members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand the customer requirements and track the compliance level of the design in a compliance matrix during the development phase
- Responsible for the design validation and verification, which includes analyses and tests as required
- Loads analysis
- Stress analysis using hand calculations or finite element analysis
- Part and assembly tolerance analysis per ANSI Y14.5.
- Functional, environmental, static load, robustness testing
- Responsible for the creation of mechanical parts and assemblies to meet the need of the Business Unit customers
- Use the CAD tools to create 3D models of parts and assemblies
- Generate the 2D manufacturing drawings per ANSI Y14.100, including advancing the use of Model Based Definition
- Responsible for creating and maintaining status of the drawing list for the project
- Create Test Requests and design test setups as required
- Understand and comply with all internal process requirements
- Provide a regular and clear status of all pending work
- Review and address the following items:
- Vendor Deviation Requests
- Material Review Reports
- Drawing Change Requests
- Problem Reports
- Take ownership of mechanical design topics and issues at USCS.
- Design parts to Cost, Manufacturability, Assembly requirements
- Ensure that the mechanical design work is performed in accordance with Design to Cost (DTC), Design for Manufacture (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA) process requirements.
- Participate and be “hands on” in the troubleshooting of mechanical issues.
- Provide leadership on design of mechanical components and respond to Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action Requests (RCCA)
- Get behind and advance the use of the SolidWorks suite of design tools (SW Premium with Simulation, SW Composer, SW Inspection, EPDM, SolidCAM).
- Creation, review and approval of technical reports covering the following topics:
- Detail and Assembly Drawings per ANSI Y14.100, including advancing the use of Model Based Definition
- Part and Assembly Tolerance Analysis per ANSI Y14.5.
- Thermal Analysis
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual applying for this position must show a keen interest in mechanical and electro-mechanical design, materials science, stress analysis, state of the art manufacturing technologies, and going hands when necessary. In addition, the individual must show an interest in pushing beyond the envelope of current designs.
- Minimum: Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) in Mechanical or Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university;
- Preferred: Master of Science degree (M.S.) in Mechanical or Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering or related field of study;
- Experience in the design of dynamic mechanical and electro-mechanical components and mechanisms.
- Proficiency in any 3D CAD package
- Experience in the creation, publication and revision of engineering drawings in accordance with ANSY Y14.100 standards.
- Experience in the troubleshooting of mechanisms in the context of the development cycle
- Experience in the certification of mechanical and electro-mechanical components for civil or military aerospace applications
- Experience in creating tolerance analysis for large assemblies and ensure compliance with aircraft interface requirements
- Experience in stress analysis (including materials science), FEA and motion simulation
- Advanced Experience with SolidWorks toolset or equivalent
- Leadership experience with managing large groups of engineers, in the gated development process
- Advanced experience with manufacturing processes and tools used in the industry
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree