Operations Manager - Automotive - Union
|Fort Wayne, Indiana - United States
$95,000.00 - $145,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Company has over 10 billion in annual sales. Exceptional benefits!
Our Client provides the world's original-equipment manufacturers and the aftermarket with local product and service support through a network of nearly 100 engineering, manufacturing, and distribution facilities. Our client is a solid company that has a strong foundation including promoting from within. One chief opportunity for this position is to take Continuous Improvement to the next step. To the extent that change is necessary this candidate needs to have the management attitude of a change agent.
Our Our Client Fort Wayne facility is a global leader in the supply of highly engineered driveline products that improve the efficiency and performance of vehicles with both conventional and alternative-energy powertrains. Serving primarily the Light Vehicle market place – Our Client Fort Wayne provides products to both original equipment manufacturers, (OEM) and the aftermarket.
Our Client is seeking to fill the position of Operations Manager in Fort Wayne, IN.
With direction from the plant manager, the position is accountable for safety, quality, productivity, cost performance, employee relations, capital improvements and budget preparation in a high performance work team environment. Job demands monitoring production performance and implementing processes, procedures, and methods to improve results in all key functional areas. Position is responsible for implementing and maintaining best manufacturing practices and regulatory compliance for all production activities. This position is a key development role for promoting to a Plant Manager position.
- Overall management of the Production Team Members, budget, expenses, processes and procedures.
- Will support all Safety, Environmental, Quality, and Corporate & Plant level policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and manage the activities of the Production area to ensure that safety, quality, costs and delivery targets are attained or exceeded.
- Manage the activities of the Front Line Production Supervisors and Maintenance Supervisor
- Monitor quality of department incoming and outgoing work
- Plan and schedule staffing requirement needed in order to meet specific quality standards and production objectives in all areas.
- Provide direction and support to shift supervisors to ensure a profitable, cohesive production operation
- Analyze workflow, yields, manpower requirements, production restraints and quality issues. Identify problems and develop solutions to continually improve the operations.
- Determine training requirements and ensure all training needs are meet.
- Work with HR, Quality, Safety, etc to develop training as required.
- Build and maintain productive employee relationships, driving employee satisfaction. Provide direction, training and development as needed. Provide coaching, counseling, or discipline as needed. Recommend disciplinary action and reviews disciplinary action by supervisors for effectiveness and consistency. Work with HR to address employee concerns and issues including responses to grievances at step 2 of the grievance process.
- Monitors forecasts and assigns priorities on customer need and production availability
- Uses various tools, including MRP system to conduct capacity planning to determine production plan, and identify potential customer corrective actions such as scheduling OT, hire, layoff, outsourcing or expediting.
- Achieve target customer service levels and inventory turn levels based on forecast error and bias trends, manufacturing capacity / flexibility; customer service and inventory turn goals. Reviews monthly.
- Present summary of key information at weekly management meetings
- Foster and lead the continuous improvement or lean manufacturing concepts, using the appropriate techniques (5S, Process Mapping, Kaizen, etc.) to reduce inventory costs, improve cash flow, reduce obsolescence and reduce operating costs and improve safety and quality.
- Review output from shop floor reporting and analyzes variances.
- Develop trend analysis; identify methods of improvement to raise the level of accuracy and data entry efficiency.
- Provide support to engineering for changes and product launches.
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in supervision in a manufacturing environment required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering or a related field is required.
- Willingness to relocate will be important as this is a developmental position intended to lead to promotion to Plant Manager role within a Our Client Facility.
- Track record of effectively resolving customer related issues, improving processes and helping in efficiency
- Proficient computer skills with ERP/MRP applications and Microsoft Office Applications
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently
- Courteous, clear, and professional manner in dealing with the Company’s customer base.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills – written and oral
- Strong team building and people skills including the ability to resolve conflicting interests and obtain cooperation.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in MS office
- A proven track record of cross-functional interaction
- Demonstrated success in problem solving
- Must have experience working in a UNIONIZED manufacturing environment.
- Must possess strong analytical skills in forecasting and anticipating production needs and capabilities
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations under stress
- Knowledge of MRP system operation and management including computer literacy applied to scheduling and data management
- Automotive manufacturing experience preferred
- Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks and manage time efficiently. Must have the ability to effectively manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously, planning and scheduling work and activities to routinely meet cost and schedule parameters.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of Lean including but not limited to value stream mapping, voice of the customer, kaizen leadership, continuous flow, and 5S.
- Ability to learn new concepts and effectively pass this knowledge on to others through training or the design of practical experience and exercises.
- Demonstrated ability to drive work and achieve results.
- Must possess a detail orientation, be able to work effectively as an individual contributor and possess solid interpersonal relationship and communication skills.
- Solid understanding of Materials and inventory management.
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree