Process Development Engineer
|Saint Louis, Missouri - United States
$85,000.00 - $115,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Market leading Nutritional Product Company that offers a diverse range of innovative products and solutions, is seeking a Process Development Engineer. The R&D Process Development Engineer is responsible for scaling up new products, evaluating new raw materials/ingredients, and process development and technology assessment for the various groups within the Ingredients Division. The process primarily is wet processing, mixing, liquid and dry blending, and liquid and dry packaging. This role will also provide technical service to customers as well as process engineering technical support to Production.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops new processes and products including proper guidance for manufacturing process and formulation.
- Completes the scale up trials and plant trials for all appropriate groups of R&D within the Ingredients Division.
- Works closely with manufacturing on scale up of R&D formulas to full production.
- Provides engineering technical support to Production including, startup of newly developed products.
- Assists Technical Development Manager of Technology Transfer as necessary
- Assists in completing projects in lab, pilot plant, and plant including the use of vats, steam kettles, homogenizer, batch pasteurizer, blenders, or other equipment
- Provide troubleshooting expertise in cases of product or processing issues.
- Provide occasional technical service to customers.
- Test alternate raw materials/ingredients in order to evaluate suitability for substitution in an existing production situation or new formula development
- Tests new equipment proposed and set up trials at potential equipment manufacturers and copackers as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Food Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering is required (ChemE preferred)
- 3+ years’ experience in Process Development, New Product Development and/or Process Scale-up
- Working in a food pilot plant in a dairy or food ingredient facility is desired. Wet processing experience highly preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with principals of food processing, food and dairy chemistry, wet processing, liquid and dry mixing/blending and packaging.
- The ability to develop new processes and products.
- Working knowledge of various processing equipment (ie: vats, steam kettles, liquid and dry mixing/blending equipment, liquid and dry packaging, homogenizer, retort, and drying)
- Spray drying and/or agglomeration experience is a plus
- Ability to conduct experimental design tests and accurately report results in to customers and management
- Knowledge of plant operations and ability to be a technical resource to Production during trials
- Ability to scale up from the lab/benchtop processes to pilot plant and full scale production
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree