Product Safety Regulatory Affairs Manager
|Houston, Texas - United States
contact recruiter for details
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Our client is an international integrated energy and chemical company that leverages the talent and expertise of more than 34,000 people working in 38 countries. A career here provides opportunities to experience variety through exposure in various facets of our integrated energy and chemicals value chain; upstream (exploration & production), mining, downstream, chemicals and new energy.
Regulatory affairs management is a crucial link between the company, its products, customers, and regulatory authorities. Requires maintaining expert knowledge of all applicable Federal, State and certain global laws/regulations that apply to the company products. Responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance for Performance and Base Chemicals in the regions where the chemicals are produced, stored, shipped, and marketed/used. Develop strategies to secure production and long-term marketability of SNA products. Within the framework of the company’s overall goals and strategies, initiative is required in identifying problems, collaborating, communicating resolutions and implementation of corrective action for an efficient and effective team.
Key interfaces include: Product Managers, Research & Development, Marketing & Sales, Market Development, Manufacturing, Customer Service, Logistics, internal and external customers, trade associations and other product safety/stewardship groups.
- Managing a team of Product Safety and HazCom Specialists in North America
- Ensures company PC and BC products can be produced, used and marketed in line with company policies and objectives, and applicable regulations in North America.
- Monitor regulatory compliance developments (proposed and promulgated rule-making, notices, etc.), trends (regulatory and intra-company), and assess impacts of new and amended product safety regulatory requirements (e.g. TSCA, FIFRA, OSHA, FDA, and DOT) applicable to the company products (domestic and global). Ensure regulations are accurately interpreted and communicated to assist operations, Marketing & Sales, Market Development, R&D, Commercialization teams and other company entities.
- Manage the development of Hazard Communication systems and procedures to classify products and create Safety Data Sheets, labels and Emergency Response Information documents for all products distributed in North America and globally. Provide hazard communication support to US facilities for products, intermediates, process streams, and waste.
- Provide assistance in ensuring that Performance Chemicals and Base Chemicals can be manufactured, utilized and marketed in accordance with legal requirements and company strategy and objectives, without posing risks to humans and the environment. Assure Product Safety is involved in Business Area planning and budgeting processes to support operations and sales.
- Managerial planning and implementation of product safety strategies to assure there are documented Product Safety/ISO/Responsible Care policies, procedures and practices in place for consistency in decision-making. Provide regulatory leadership on US and global product safety teams and for activities to meet company and Performance Chemical objectives. Assure implementation management of product development processes to cover regulatory needs for new and modified products.
- Project management, resource allocations and manage consultants that prepare and submit new product registrations and chemical notifications for commercialization and enablement in the US and globally. This includes prioritization, budgeting, and coordinating information between Toxicologists, Product Safety, R&D, Market Development, Marketing & Sales, and Operations.
- Ensure staff is equipped with systems, tools and resources to meet regulatory obligations and address customer (internal and external) needs and uses of products. Direct internal efforts to resolve startup and distribution issues; and ensure resolutions are communicated to management.
- Represent company interest in national and international industrial and trade association groups (ACC, ACI, SCHC, DGAC, etc.). Ensure Product Safety Management Code activities are in-place and reported for attestation accountability. Participate and prepare Product Safety reports for ISO management system review teams.
- Conduct DOT audits and distributor assessments in cooperation with US sales personnel to ensure distributors are practicing product stewardship and aware of regulations affecting company products and their operations.
- Identify and monitor Key Performance Indicator processes for product compliance and initiate corrective measures and actions to mitigate loss.
- B.S or Advanced Degree in Chemistry (preferred), Sciences, Industrial Hygiene or related chemical fields
- 10+ years direct regulatory experience (domestic and global)
- 5+ years in chemical industry
- Management experience with track record of hiring, training, coaching and developing personnel
- Basic knowledge of toxicology and eco-toxicology for chemicals
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (oral and written)
- Works independently, but interacts well with all company functions
- Auditing experience (DOT, ISO, and SHE)
- Knowledge of SAP EH&S module
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree