Senior Process Engineer – Chemical Industry
|New Orleans, Louisiana - United States
contact recruiter for details
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Senior Process Engineer – Chemical Industry
3 POSITIONS - TOP PRIORITY TO FILL!
New Orleans, LA (Relocation Provided)
Member of the Process Technology Team, the Sr. Process Engineer will be responsible for the Nitriles plants (AN, Melamine, Urea). Individual will be part of a newly-formed Process Technology Team (PTT). The PTT is responsible for providing production/process engineering support for three chemical manufacturing units plus a utilities department.
The Hiring Company’s facility is just outside of New Orleans, Louisiana. It manufactures high quality Acrylonitrile Hydrogen Cyanide, Melamine, Oleum, Sulfuric Acid, Acrylamide, Methyl Methacrylate, Ammonia and Methacrylic Acid that are used in a variety of everyday applications. They are experts at converting energy into industrial chemicals on a large scale. The facility sits on 800 acres with approximately 460 employees with annual payroll of $ 44 million and annual spend of 350 Million or more making 2.5 billion pounds of annual production.
Working closely with the operation’s group, actions are to be identified to reduce usage and energy consumption, improve yields, minimize waste and increase occupancy from a process engineering view, while maintaining or improving safety and environmental compliance. Activities will include providing leadership for, and participating with, a process development and engineering team; devising, promoting, developing and implementing process improvements; developing and implementing intellectual property/patent strategy; providing process engineering support to plant operations; signing off on engineering work of the process technology group and support of future projects.
- Strong chemical process engineering foundation and track record of achievement including design experience, P&IDs, PFDs, mass balance calculations, and design experience.
- Safety focused, a self-starter, highly organized, and able to work well within all levels of a fast-paced organization
- Critical thinker, problem solver with the ability to innovate, with focus on improving costs.
- Use of financial analysis to drive decision making; demonstrated ability to make timely decisions.
- Ability to drive initiatives to completion.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative operations and technology departments
- Strong communication and influencing skills; i.e. the ability to clearly communicate technical information and proposals to both technical and non-technical audiences, in simple, clearly understandable terms.
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering; PE license is a plus
- 10+ years of related experience in a chemical, petrochemical or petroleum production/refining facility.
- 5+ years of Process design experience in chemical catalysis/distillation environment.
- Successful implementation of process improvement projects and ideas.
- Demonstrated commitment to continual improvement
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common engineering packages, project reports and legal documents.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- MS in Chemical Engineering.
- Strong background in process engineering and process design
- Experience in acrylonitrile, melamine or urea chemistries.
- Experience in catalysis, especially fluidized bed reactors.
- Experience with crystallization, centrifugation and drying unit operations.
- Knowledge of DeltaV, DCS platform and PI historian.
- Training in lean concepts and six sigma principles.
- Familiarity with large CAPEX stage-gated execution systems
- Successful employment of statistical methods towards process improvements.
- Plant design, construction, and commissioning experience
- Process Engineering
- Develop BFD’s and Material/Energy Balances as needed.
- Using PFDs, experience, and design tools, create design specification sheets for a wide variety of equipment, including catalytic reactors, quench columns, absorbers, distillation columns, tanks, etc…
- Lead the design and revision of P&IDs.
- Lead HAZOP, PSA, FMEA and Operability reviews to ensure proper design.
- Familiar with RCA, PHA, MOC and PSM activities.
- Responsible for Process optimization on the future Nitriles commercial units.
- Provide Technical Support to plant operations, Process trouble-shooting.
- Think and solve problems creatively and contribute to the company’s strong culture of innovation and resourcefulness.
- Engineering including basic design, detailed design, Project Support, Commissioning and Start-up and on-going Operations process support.
- Continually optimize plant operations to maximize the Efficiency and On-Stream-Time of the manufacturing equipment.
- Quickly establish working relationships with operations staff and build knowledge of operating unit chemistry and process technology.
- Apply troubleshooting/problem solving techniques and resources, as required, to quickly respond to operational issues.
- Drive to completion step-wise improvement projects initially assigned; identify new process improvement opportunities once established.
- Design equipment and develop technical scope for retrofits and new equipment additions.
- Identify needs for new or updated instrumentation or process analyzers.
- Collaborate with the manufacturing and production teams to translate company initiatives into Commercial Plant process designs.
- Develop & recommend changes to operating procedures as needed for plant trials or changes in operating conditions/targets; provide operator training and unit coverage as necessary.
- Process Modeling/Statistics
- Utilization of process simulation software to simulate whole and parts of the process; models will then be used to optimize processes and develop new equipment.
- Familiar with Aspen Plus to rigorously model new and existing processes.
- Apply statistical principles and software to mine, analyze and relate key process data & variables.
- Perform EVOP and DOE studies to perform lab and plant trials.
- Expertise in statistical principles and tools.
- HSSE, Quality, Maintenance
- Monitor and address daily production and quality metrics.
- In conjunction with the HSSE department, drive HSSE excellence in the plant.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures that meet ISO9001 and PSM requirements.
- Minimize/eliminate out of specification production by ensuring equipment is maintained in good condition.
- Conduct thorough non-conforming product & customer complaint investigations & identify root causes.
- Drive effective corrective/preventive actions to eliminate quality issues.
- Investigate/identify causes of product waste in order to minimize generation.
- Collaborate with Maintenance and Engineering to address production bottlenecks and equipment issues.
- Train the salaried and hourly staff, as appropriate, on technical matters.
University - Bachelor's Degree/3-4 Year Degree